BA: Service Mgmt - Hospitality Enterprise
Ashford University - Ashford University is a private college with one campus in Clinton, Iowa. However, the school does have several degrees that can be completed entirely online like the BA in Service Management with a specialization in Hospitality Enterprise. Ashford U is accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission, 985 Atlantic Ave, Ste 100, Alameda, California 94501, (510) 748-9001, wascsenior.org.
BBA: Hospitality Mgmt
DeVry University - DeVry University is one of the most well-known names in education and one of the top technical schools in the nation. DeVry has over 95 campuses in the US and Canada and over 50 programs available online. The Bachelor of Business Administration in Hospitality Management is an in-depth exploration of the managerial and organizational skills it takes to start a career in this field.
Hospitality Management Information Guide
HospitalityManagementColleges brings you useful tips and resources for earning a degree in hospitality management. As tourism continues to recover and grow, hospitality management is expanding and more schools are offering online programs.
A degree in hospitality management prepares students for an array of career opportunities within the hospitality, tourism, and restaurant industries. Studies focus on core subjects very similar to that of a business degree.
Hospitality Management Degrees
Students will take classes in accounting, finance, public relations, human resource management, marketing, and more. Once the business core has been established, degrees will branch into more detailed coursework pertaining to restaurant management, global tourism, food preparation, lodging, as well as other types of event management. These degree programs are designed to give students a broad understanding of these different industries in order to ready them for careers at the management level.
Areas of Hospitality Management
There are several different degree programs available for students interested in the hospitality management field. There are a variety of bachelor’s degrees geared toward this study, as well as graduate programs, such as a Master of Business Administration (MBA), that help students advance even further up the hospitality management chain. Some areas where students choose to focus their studies include:
- Hotels: A hotel is comprised of an extensive management chain made up of many departments. Positions range from general managers, middle managers, administrative staff, to lower-level supervisors. They can also range from small chains to extravagant hotels.
- Restaurants: Restaurant management can include positions such as floor manager, marketing manager, kitchen manager, and more. Degrees offered for restaurant management include associate’s, bachelor’s, and graduate programs.
- Cruise Ships: There is a vast variety of hospitality positions available on cruise ships. Some of these include working in housekeeping, lodging administration, food and beverage, and more. Cruise ships generally require a large number of staff members to operate, so those in upper management positions may oversee many employees and departments.
- Amusement/Theme Parks: Amusement or theme parks consist of various attractions, rides, and many other types of entertainment that cater to a variety of age groups. Within a park, there are many departments that keep it up and running. These can range from the attractions themselves to grounds keeping, food and beverage, retail, and more.
- Convention Centers: These types of facilities host an array of events, from conferences to meetings to shows and more. Working for a convention center requires individuals to have strong organization and planning skills in order to ensure events run smoothly.
Finding Financial Aid for Hospitality Management Programs
As with any degree program, pursuing a degree in hospitality management can be a large financial undertaking. There are many things to consider, such as tuition, books, materials, and other fees that can really add up. Though it may be costly, this shouldn’t deter you from continuing your education. There are many ways to apply for and earn financial aid that can help cover some of the costs. The first step is understanding the different types of available aid.
Types of Financial Aid
Financial aid can come in many forms and from many organizations, and it can be awarded based on a special skill or talent, need, or on the basis of repayment. The most common types of financial aid are:
- Scholarships: There are many types of scholarships programs students can apply for. Merit-based scholarships are awarded to students who excel academically or in an extracurricular activity, such as sports or art. Need-based scholarships are given out to students based on their and their family’s financial record and need. There are also student-specific scholarships that can be awarded by various organizations based on gender, religions, family, medical history, race, or other factors. Some schools may even offer scholarship money to qualified students, so it’s worth talking to someone in the financial aid office about any scholarship opportunities. Scholarships do not have to be repaid, though students may be required to maintain certain standards, such as grade point average and enrollment status in order to continue to receive the award.
- Grants: Grants are given out by different department of the government, as well as various companies, organizations, corporations, and foundations. This type of award money can be given out based on financial need, or even based on the type of program a student is pursuing. One of the most common grants is the Pell Grant, which is awarded by the federal government based on financial need. Grant money does not have to be repaid, but there are generally requirements that come along with this type of award. They could be based on research, grade point average, enrollment status, or other factors.
- Loans: Student loans help students cover the immediate costs of tuition, books, fees, and living expenses that can be repaid after completion of their degree. This takes the burden of covering the costs upfront away from the students and allows them to be able to pursue their degree. These funds do have to be repaid according to the loan agreement. Generally speaking, students are given around six months after graduating before they are required to begin making payments, and payment terms are usually up to 10 years. Various banks and lending agencies provide student loans, but it is wise to shop around to find a loan with the lowest interest rate. This will save you money in the long run.
What to Look for in a Hospitality Management College
There are many factors to consider when deciding on a hospitality management program. Colleges and universities offer a variety of degree plans and varying amenities that students may find necessary or helpful in their education. Understanding what is important to you in a school will help make your decision easier.
The most important factor to consider for any school is its accreditation status. Accreditation shows that the college or university has met the requirements necessary to offer credible degrees taught by qualified faculty members. It also ensures that they are providing you with a legitimate education and a degree that will be accepted by future employers. You should not consider any school that is not properly accredited. In order to check the accreditation status for any school, you can check their website or speak with someone at the college or university. You can also check the accreditation of any school through the U.S. Department of Education’s website.
Once you know the school is properly accredited, there are a number of other factors that you can consider. There are school rankings that are released each year, but they don’t always rank schools in areas that may be important to you. Do you need flexible scheduling? Are you interested in online courses? Do they have a campus close to you? Think about what you are looking in a degree program and weigh the pros and cons of each school and what they offer.
All of the schools listed on this website are properly accredited and offer great degree programs for students interested in pursuing a degree in hospitality management. Search through the list of schools to find which of them offer the specific degree program you are interested in, and then you can request more information directly from that school by clicking on their link. If you’re ready to further your education and advance your career, don’t wait. Find the degree program that’s right for you, and get started today.